sweetthink
Czy chcesz zareagować na tę wiadomość? Zarejestruj się na forum za pomocą kilku kliknięć lub zaloguj się, aby kontynuować.

,,Alexz reminds me of what I was doing when I was 20'' czyli wywiad z Wesem

Go down

,,Alexz reminds me of what I was doing when I was 20'' czyli wywiad z Wesem Empty ,,Alexz reminds me of what I was doing when I was 20'' czyli wywiad z Wesem

Pisanie by mysweettime Pon Sie 04, 2008 2:05 pm

If anyone knows the true meaning of being an “Instant Star,” it’s Wes Williams, who shot to the top of the Canadian music charts nearly 20 years ago with “Let Your Backbone Slide.”

Williams tells CTV.ca that when he signed onto the role of record executive Darius Mills on the teen drama “Instant Star,” he discovered that his own life paralleled that of his co-star Alexz Johnson.

“Alexz reminds me of what I was doing when I was 20 -- except multiply that by ten because she has her own show,” says Williams.

On “Instant Star” Johnson plays Jude Harrison, an unlikely winner of an “American Idol” type competition who fights to be taken seriously by her record label.

Like her role, Johnson has become an “Instant Star” in her own right, including signing a record deal with Capitol Records and gaining world-wide notoriety through the show.

For Williams, who has been focusing mainly on his acting career for the last few years, finds that the pressure Johnson deals with now is more than he ever faced.

“When I got my deal after I was found on ‘Electric Circus,’ I was basically instantly thrust into being a professional artist, with a gold record,” recalls Williams.

“Imagine doing that, then compare it to knowing your script and your character while doing your music at the same time.”

Despite his modesty, Williams is still a legend when it comes to the world of Canadian hip-hop.

After he released his hit single as “Maestro Fresh Wes” in 1989, he became the first Canadian rapper with a hit in the top 40. His record, “Symphony in Effect,” has since gone nearly double platinum -- a feat that hasn’t been repeated by any other Canadian rap artist.

On set, Williams recalls not only giving advice to Johnson, who was born just three years before “Let Your Backbone Slide” hit the charts, but found himself inspired by her own enthusiasm.

“She was always excited about who she’s working with or the latest song she’s recording, and her eyes would just light up,” says Williams, who still regards the actress with great respect.

“She was the nucleus of the show and made everything easy for the last four years.”

Darius “Diddy” Mills?

Despite his status as a music industry veteran and two-time Juno award winner, Williams says that he hasn’t based his Puff Daddy-esque character on anyone he’s worked with before.

“I just tapped into what I’ve known for myself,” says Williams. “I’ve been in the industry for a long time, and because of that it was easy for me to find something in my character and take it to the next level.”

As the domineering head of “G Major” (Jude’s record label), Darius is often at odds with the artists on his roster, trying to get them to record radio-friendly hit singles.

“He’s not perfect, but I wanted to make him as someone who sees these kids -- his record label’s artists, as needing guidance.”

“It wasn’t that hard for me to play,” admits Williams.

While Williams says that “Instant Star” can be a little “campy” at times, he still thinks it’s an authentic look at an artist’s life on a major label.

“Certain subjects often mirror reality, like people underestimating you. I’ve been underestimated, and Jude has been underestimated her whole life. Or when your record label is telling you one thing, but people are telling you something else, that’s real,” explains Williams.

“When you look at the basic core, it’s about a young girl who got a break, and that reflects what a lot of artists go through.”

Williams recently appeared in the film “Redemption” alongside Jamie Foxx, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival this past January.

CTV is currently airing the fourth and final season of “Instant Star” on Sunday nights at 7 p.m. ET.

CREDIT: CTV
mysweettime
mysweettime
Mrs. Rozon
Mrs. Rozon

Liczba postów : 3285

Powrót do góry Go down

Powrót do góry